Saturday, June 26, 2010

First Chapter Blues

My novel currently has 84, 218 words. That varies from day to day, however, as I write a first chapter - highlight it all - and then delete it in frustration.

I feel as if the rest of it is going pretty well. Editing is boring, of course, but it is fun to go back through and add and delete things to make my story better. I'm sure in another 5 edits, I'll hate my book, but for now we're good.

EXCEPT for that stupid first chapter. I can't get it right. How much do I share about my main character in the first chapter? How much is setting her up and how much is too much information? How important is describing how everyone looks? How important is describing the setting? How do my characters come across each other? Where do they meet, how does it happen?

Ugh, I'm driving myself insane trying to figure out how to start it off. Maybe... maybe no one will notice if I just start it off at chapter 2. I can give it a pretty heading, maybe name the chapters, and no one will notice that little "2". Maybe they also won't notice that there is no character introduction or scene set up.

Sigh. First chapter it is. What to do, what to do.

<3, Bethany

1 comment:

  1. Why can't you start it off at chapter 2.

    At one time, I've combined chapter 1 and 2 together.. into a new chapter one.

    Maybe that is the problem.

    ReplyDelete