Saturday, July 24, 2010

I Did It

One manuscript, finished. Edited 3 times on my own, and I've finally let my baby go to a couple of different readers.

I'm ecstatic. I'm scared out of my mind. I'm apprehensive. I'm ready for feedback I know I'm not going to get for probably another month. I'm relieved. I'm ready to start a new project.

Most of all, however, I'm feeling accomplished.

It's been a long year since I started. Not just writing-wise. It's been a long year, and not a good one. Between health, marital, mental, school and indecision problems... I feel like this is closing a literal and proverbial chapter. I feel like this specific book represents the perseverance that I've maintained over the past year.

So, overall, I feel  like I completed something I didn't feel like I was going to be able to do. It's definitely NOT the book I started out to write. I started the book with a scene. In the end, that scene isn't framed with importance, and could actually be cut completely without changing the book at all.

It's darker than I imagined. Much darker. It makes me cry in a couple of places. But the overall theme of the book seems to mimic my life as it's been.

For those of you who are interested, I'm going to be posting a summary and excerpt later on in the day. I'd appreciate if you could refer some people here, and help me get the ball rolling.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this project.

To Ebyss, Willow, Gary, Dean, Michelle and the rest of the Writing Review Group (that no longer exists *tear): Thank you so much for the support when no one else was there to help me! For editing my original sketchy dialogue and for showing me what it meant to be a stronger writer. You guys are my foundation... and I can't tell you all how much I appreciate it!!

To Mrs. Thomas and Professor Hoven: Thank you for giving me the tools I needed and the respect and encouragement I needed to push myself to a new level.

To Willow and Jordan Wagner: Thank you both for volunteering to read for me. I love you guys!

To my parents, and my beautiful little sister: Thanks for loving me, supporting me and letting me complain to you about everything.


So now, to get my summary written, and figure out what kind of an excerpt to post.

Much, much <3, Bethany

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the great accomplishment.

    Writing is a hard and often disappointing path to take. Especially when real life throws up walls and bumps and dips and anything else it can think of.

    I'm proud of you and I wish you the best of luck. I'd love to see nothing more than all of us to reach our goal and become published.

    And if you'd like or need another beta reader, you know where to find me.

    The biggest hugs go to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Ebyss! You've been such a godsend. And believe me, email sent! :) I've love for you to read.

    ReplyDelete