Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Summaries: Harder to Write Than the Novel

So, I had hoped to have this posted days ago, but then had my first run in with the dreaded synopsis.

I went in knowing from secondhand knowledge, that summarizing a 75,000 word document wasn't going to be easy. But I'm also an English major who has written more book reports than I care to mention. So, naively enough, I thought this was going to be cake.

Spoiler alert: It wasn't.

But after all of that... this is what I came up with!

Summary of Stations:


Evelyn Harper is no damsel in distress. A lifetime of childhood abuse has taught her to rely only on herself. Not being able to control her ability to hear and manipulate the thoughts of others hasn’t helped her social skills. But when she intercepts the thoughts of a woman being attacked, Evelyn makes the choice to break one of her own rules. Never get involved.

Chloe, the woman she saves, is the daughter of a controversial senator. She also happens to be everything Evelyn wishes she could be - frivolous, funny, trusting, and kind. Despite her reservations, Evelyn is drawn to the woman. When a political scandal claims the life of someone close to her, Chloe turns to her for help once again.

Having a friend is rare, but keeping one harder. With her knack for survival, and a supernatural arsenal, Evelyn is determined to find out who’s threatening Chloe, and stop them. No matter what it takes.



It sounds super cheesy right now... but I'll constantly revise it until I'm done with the novel and ready to query. I'm waiting for the feedback from my beta readers, then I'll be able to do another edit and have a better idea of where to go.

As soon as I hear back from my editors, you'll all know it.

Waiting is soooooooo hard.

More to come, promise!

<3, Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment