Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The First in the Interview Series - Please Welcome Ebyss!

Yes, yes. These are supposed to be on Mondays. But since this is a strange week, we're doing it on a Wednesday.

I'm very, very honored for my first guest to be the talented and lovely Ebyss - a woman I'm lucky enough to consider a friend. (Not to mention an AMAZING beta-reader!)

You can find her on Twitter , Facebook or on her Blog . She hosts her own author interviews and has quite a few big names and interesting women! She currently has an awesome novel, PERFECTION (pictured below) out in queries right now. I was lucky enough to beta this work, and you should all be very excited for the day it goes to publication. A VERY good read.

Now down to the dirty.

Alright, tell me about you:
I live with one husband, two male cats, and three boys. I'm surrounded by testosterone. I think it saturates my clothes. I have a daughter, but she is grown and laughs at me from her house.

Daughters are good for laughing. I do it to my own mom frequently. ^_^ 

First set of questions - The Writing Process 

When did you first decide that being a writer was the life for you?
It's kind of funny because I always wanted to write. I loved writing stories when I was a kid.
Then when I was twenty (I won't bother you with the details of how long ago that was) I thought about it again, but I never did. Didn't think I had the talent, then I had kids, then I had to work, then this and then that.
Then one day about five years ago, my daughter came to me and said this would make a cool story. It was about a boy, half dragon and half human, and I had agreed. My daughter is great, I would bounce ideas off her and she'd offer me suggestions.
And from their my first manuscript was born. It's dormant in a file now. But one day I plan on taking it out and fixing it. And boy... does it need a lot of fixin'.

So what is Perfection about? 
Based upon the concept of Aryan purity, Ellyssa is genetically engineered to be the perfect soldier: strong, intelligent, unemotional, and telepathic.  Her purpose?  To eradicate inferior beings.  A task she's spent her whole life training for under the strict guidance of her creator.

Then she encounters the epitome of inferiority--a dark-haired renegade.  He speaks to her by pushing his thoughts of a place she's never visited into her mind.  An inconceivable possibility since she is the one who usually does the psychic picking.  Not only that, but he's clearly not from her society.  A substandard person who should not possess such an extraordinary gift.

Yet he does and his unspoken words initiate a catalyst.  Ellyssa finds herself questioning her indoctrination and, even worse, feeling emotions.  Confused and afraid her creator will discover her mental breakdown, Ellyssa runs away from her life and embarks on a journey that leads to the realization there is more to her than what she was bred to be. 

Unfortunately, her creator has other plans.

I'm super jealous of your ability to write a good query. What else are you working on?

Right now, I'm working on two projects.
The first is the sequel to PERFECTION.
The other I have decided to take a fairytale and modernize it. It's a well known fairytale, but hasn't been brought into the here and now. Well, at least that I know of. I thought that would be a fun project.

Do you draw inspiration from real life? Where do the ideas come from?
I've asked authors and writers this, and it is really a hard question to answer. You, Beth, kind of gave me the spark for PERFECTION. ^_^
As far as drawing from real life. Yes, I think I do, at least for my characters. I try to think how people would act in a certain type of situation, then base my reactions and dialogue from there.

Always glad to help! On your writing projects - how much of it was writing and how much of it was editing?

My first one, KRELIS, took a year and a half. I edited it for about a year. Always trying to fix it, always trying to make it better, always trying to follow every rule. I edited so much I wrote my voice right out of it, along with all the essentials of a good story.
I learned a lot from KRELIS.
DARK ABYSS--From conception of idea to being finished, about a year. Editing took about three months.
PERFECTION--started last summer, put away, started again in December of '09, finished in beginning of April, and had it edited by the beginning of June. But I still make changes to it here and there. Just a couple of weeks ago, I made a small rewrite of the first page based on a suggestion from a friend.
Long ago, I have come to the conclusion that whatever you write, it will never be perfect. There will always be a sentence that could be phrased better, or maybe a better word. By the time I finish with the first draft of a manuscript, I climb aboard the perpetual Ferris-wheel of rewrites.

Anyone involved in creative writing can definitely relate to that. We aim for perfection (aye! no pun intended), but what we end up with is something everyone else thinks is great, and we think isn't done yet!

What’s your favorite genre to write?
I write young adult. But as far the genre from there, I don't have one. So far I have written a fantasy, a paranormal romance, a dystopian, and as I said, I'm working a fairytale.

What about to read?
That is easy..horror, fantasy, dystopian, paranormal, some sci-fi. Young adult and adult. The list goes on and on and on.

Alright, hard question - which one of your characters do you most relate to?
I'd have to say they all have a little bit of me in there. Maybe not much, nothing more than a shimmer, but I'm in there. So it's a little hard for me to say I can relate to just one.

Please, please can we have an excerpt from Perfection? Can you give us a favorite line?
Oh.. I have two.. can I share two. I'm going to share two. And actually they aren't lines but passages of dialogue. Can I do that? Well if not, then you can just delete them. I would never censor you!
PERFECTION:
“That is not true.” He gathered her hands in his and kissed her fingers. “Why did you leave The Center? Why did you come here? Look at all you have experienced--how much you’ve grown. Sorrow, compassion, friendship, betrayal, loneliness, loss, acceptance, and happiness." He paused and cupped her cheek. "I’ve seen you truly happy. Smiling. Laughing.”

“It is true I have never loved,” she said. “I have nothing to compare it to. But how did I know the feeling I had at Jordan’s death was loss, or that sadness was sadness, or betrayal, betrayal? My life, sheltered as it was, oblivious to the wonderful things life has to offer, family and friends, a sense of truly belonging. Never feeling, only surviving, fighting. I felt these reactions, my body responded. I have laughed. I have cried.” She brushed her lips against his. “Because of you, I love.”


Last Part - A little about Ebyss, the person.
Favorite book: My all time favorite book is MISERY by Stephen King. When crazy Annie Wilkes hobbled the author, I experienced sympathy pains. I'd have to say that this was probably the only book turned to movie that I absolutely love too.
Favorite movie or TV series: Big Bang Theory and Vampire Diaries
Do you have a writing playlist? What’s on it? For PERFECTION: Hope by Apocalyptica, Dance Inside by All American Rejects, Just a Girl by No Doubt Just to name a few.
What do you do when you’re not writing? Complain that I'm not writing. Or I might be at work--still complaining (even if its internally) that I'm not writing. Oh... I do this too, I'm thinking about all the stuff that I could be writing.

And that, all you lucky people, is a journey inside the mind of one of tomorrow's best sellers. :) Hope you enjoy, and I have some more great guests lined up for you in the coming weeks! 

 Tons of <3, Bethany

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing interview!

    I especially loved the excerpt. Jealous of Ebyss's beta readers.

    Good luck to Ebyss. Hope your publishing dreams will soon be realized--from just that paragraph I already love your work. :)

    -Ezmirelda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to interview. It was a lot of fun. And ty Ezmirelda for the well wishes.

    ReplyDelete