Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sigh. Overwhelmed.

After 6 months of writing, and another 7 months of editing, my querying process has begun.

So where does that leave me? Botching attempt after attempt at writing an acceptable query.

It's overwhelming frustrating. I keep getting the EXACT SAME feedback: "If this were on a back of a book, I'd never pick it up." --- Which is supremely disappointing after hearing them rave about  how much they like what they've read of my chapters.

So what do I do?

Give up. 
Scream. 
Yell loudly.
Throw things.
Keep rewriting until I get it right.

I've got my edits done, and I'm rereading through for content right now, noting things of interest. I want to go from: "Hey, your book's great but this proposal sucks." to "Hey, this is awesome. Can I read more?"

On top of all that, I'm starting a contest soon. I'm also going to be advancing the blog. I'm going to start a series of writing process guest posts and interviews - to give people like me a place to refer to for advice and struggles of the writing process. I think more than anything, it's important to know that we are not the first people to face these issues - and that we are literally thousands strong all over the country.

I guess maybe I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed. I need to get this query done. Why is it so hard?

Nevermind --- I already know. Because it's worth it. Dreams don't come easy. You have to fight like hell for them.

So that's what I'll do.


More to come.

<3, Bethany

1 comment:

  1. OMG this sounds familiar! Keep going - you have some great stuff to work with.

    I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete